We are a leading FinTech Startup in Australia, providing a forward-thinking and creative way for customers to find their ideal Home Loan, save money and improve their financial health.
We work with banks, mortgage brokers and corporates to build a fair and transparent marketplace, making the process of finding and choosing a home loan easy for everyone, regardless of their knowledge or experience. It’s about time borrowers had someone on their side!
Our team, although still small, has recently doubled in size and we are now looking for an experienced Senior Back-End Engineer to join us working remotely from any timezone that can overlap with our Australian team for a few business hours a day or from our office in sunny Lisbon/Portugal.
It will be your responsibility to help shape how we address the challenges of modern back-end applications and architecture.
We believe in mutually beneficial relationships with our team and are looking for people who are hungry and driven to continuously transform themselves, our team and our business.
In this role you will be working closely with our CTO and Back-End team which are spread between Australia, India and Portugal.
If you’re looking for the challenges and opportunities of a startup that’s also an outstanding place to work, read on.
HOW WE WORK
We have a distributed team with a head office in Sydney/Australia and another office in Lisbon/Portugal with a diverse team from around the world (Australia, Sri Lanka, Brazil, Portugal, India and China) and seek to be a remote-first company. This means that we favour async written communication.
Our typical process is the following: we start with a requirements page that gives an overview of what we need to deliver. Then the assigned developers will create an RFC document with an overall proposal for implementation that will be peer-reviewed. This is not to be long and formal process, but rather allows us to sync and think before starting to do things. When the development happens, we deliver code via pull requests that are also peer-reviewed. We favour good quality practices like unit tests and proper documentation. We expect you to be honest, smart and daring. We hope you see feedback as an opportunity to grow.
We work with agile development methodologies, Rails, PostgresSQL, AWS, Docker and Git. You will participate in building a modular architecture that will support our challenges to come. You will support and work directly with both the QA, BE and FE development teams as well as our Business & Operations team. You will also review and approve product development and changes.
YOUR TRACK RECORD
- At least 5 years of professional software engineering experience.
- Strong Computer Science background and knowledge of algorithms and data structures.
- Proven experience developing and supporting large scale production Rails applications.
- Appreciation for testing and the ability to write specs using RSpec.
Please stop reading now if the points above do not describe your experience. If they do, we want to hear from you so please read on!
PROJECTS WE’RE EXCITED FOR YOU TO WORK ON
- Architecting our Ruby on Rails application split in decoupled Rails Engines to improve adaptability for future challenges.
- Coordinating communication between systems using an event mechanism.
- Implementing event sourcing throughout our applications defining its architecture.
- Creating Serverless functions or microservices for certain external services & processes.
- Coordinate with engineering teams at Australian Corporates/Enterprises to support partnerships and integration efforts.
- Evangelise coding and performance best practices with the rest of the team.
- Participate in company-wide brainstorming sessions to define our roadmap, come up with ideas and solutions to our challenges where everyone on the team is invited to join. This is where you get to be creative and help us innovate.
YOUR SOFT SKILLS
- Great written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Excellent team player with strong communication skills and with a passion for collaboration.
- Proactive with communication with a “get things done” mindset and have no problem managing your time as a remote employee.
- Be able to receive and give candid feedback.
- Experience with agile development methodologies.
- You are proud of your craft and value clean code that scales to keep teams productive.
YOUR TECHNICAL SKILLS
- 5yrs+ of Software Engineering experience, with at least 3yrs in Ruby on Rails.
- Strong understanding of systems architecture, database design, and the ruby language.
- Experience with PostgresSQL.
- Unit testing and code documentation practices.
- Experience of common software engineering practices (git, dependency management, versioning, continuous integration pipelines, etc).
- Sound knowledge of infrastructure and DevOps is highly desirable.
- Understanding the full-stack architecture, including front-end integration with back-end APIs.
- Knowledge of any framework like React / Angular / Vue / Ember is a plus.
- Technical writing such as technical blog posts is a big plus.
- Portfolio of projects to show with a description of the role and tasks involved is highly desirable.
* As long as you can overlap for a few hours with Sydney’s timezone (UTC +11) or Lisbon’s timezone (UTC +0) and a good internet connection you can work from anywhere in the world. Alternatively you can join our team in Lisbon/Portugal and work from our office there.
** RECRUITERS: please be advised, enquiries or resumes from recruiters will not be accepted. Only direct applicants considered. PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT.
** DEVELOPMENT AGENCIES & OUTSOURCING: please be advised, enquiries from development agencies or outsourcing firms will not be accepted. Only direct applicants considered. PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT.