Modern Tribe is looking for two seasoned business development leads to drive new growth for the agency. This is a hybrid role between senior sales lead and a solutions architect. In this role at Modern Tribe you will help the company identify leads, develop relationships and close deals in line with our company values.
The ideal candidate for this role is someone who has been writing proposals, selling large scale projects and maintaining key relationships for a successful digital agency for 3+ years and has been technically involved in online projects for 5+ years.
You’ve been running projects for years: you’ve done your own sales, have a proven track record writing proposals that close deals, know how to work with WordPress, and understand the nuances of the WordPress business world. You’ve sold projects in the $75 – $250k+ range, and aren’t afraid to go bigger.
Above all else, your daily attitude + output embody Modern Tribe’s company ethos of “live well and do good work”: you thrive on keeping the team happy and healthy. Matchmaking — not hitting sales numbers — is your jam. You hustle hard, enjoy the game and relish a genuine success. We pride ourselves on solving real problems for people rather than clutter the interwebs with more shit. If you jive with the mission of setting your team up for success, giving them the right flow and the right kind of projects, even if it means rejecting a potentially-lucrative gig…we’d love to hear from you.
Note that scoping + strategy experience are a must-have for this role; Modern Tribe is ONLY looking for technical sales candidates at this time.
Modern Tribe is committed to a culture that embraces diversity and inclusion. We foster an environment of collaboration, open engagement, fairness and respect regardless of differences in age, race, disability, national origin, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation or veteran status. As a hybrid workspace ranging from distributed contractors to traditional employees, we value the unique perspectives and experiences of our global team.
We come from all walks of life. We are small business owners. We are tattoo aficionados and 80’s movie buffs and ex-pats. We are homeschool teachers. We are single parents. We are musicians, college drop-outs, and entrepreneurs. We are travelers, feminists, runners, volunteers, and makers. We are a Modern Tribe.
Everyday we strive to fulfill our motto: live well and do good work. We hope you will consider joining us.
Each of Modern Tribe’s sales team members closes upwards of $1 million in new project work each year. The company provides a healthy pipeline to keep things rolling. Team members are also expected to be out generating leads themselves through speaking at events, blogging, local networking, etc. We build relationships.
The business development position at Modern Tribe is primarily focused on lead qualification and managing the sales funnel through contract close. Specific tasks this will involve include:
- Managing the inbound inquiry funnel (triage emails, answer calls, etc)
- Reviewing + qualifying leads that are a good fit for Modern Tribe
- Helping define + scope projects of all sizes, ranging from $75k to over $1 million++
- Clearly identifying customer needs and articulate how we can help solve them
- Lead the proposal writing process
- Working directly with service team directors / leads to get estimates
- Pitching the final project / proposal to the end customer
- Building relationships with prospective partners
- Providing regular status updates on daily Sales scrum meetings
- Working directly with Project Management and Strategy to handoff and oversee confirmed projects / upsell opportunities
- Ensuring the internal CRM we use for tracking work stays updated + accurate
- Verifying that that all workflows (proposal templates, estimate templates, etc) are documented and easily accessible
- Maintaining strong, long-term relationships with customers once the project is underway, with the ability to expand business with current customers beyond the initial project
- Writing outbound marketing pieces
- Impeccable communication + organization skills
- A deep-seated love for relationship building
- A diverse background that touches on technology, design and/or strategy, not just sales
- Self-motivated, detail oriented
- The ability to prioritize workloads and meet deadlines
- An engaging + compelling writing style
- Given the level of client communication involved, a near-perfect command of the English language is require
Knowledge & Experience
- 3-5+ years managing sales for digital agencies
A strong, proven track record building + managing relationships
- A strong design or technical background — show us that you’ve been in the mix building stuff with an understanding of customer goals and how to solve for them
- A demonstrable understanding of current technologies and what solutions will/will not work for a given customer’s needs
- Demonstrated success driving new sales/client acquisition in an agency environment
- Ability to travel approximately 1x per month on average (this fluctuates a lot)
Additional Experience (Bonus Points)
- A strong command of WordPress is HIGHLY desirable, but not required if you have years of experience selling or working with a similar CMS
- Experience running web design and development projects & managing the customer relationship
- Experience closing $1 million + in annual sales
- Proven experience in strategy, design and/or executing major marketing initiatives
- Distributed team experience is important (but not required)
- A confidence + love for working remotely, and the potential social isolation that may bring
- Experience in a project management role where you are can manage team workflows, estimate resourcing needs for pitches and keep team members accountable is a plus
Work from anywhere in North, Central or South America. If your timezone is outside of US business hours, but you work at least 3+ hours of overlap each day, let's chat. You must be fluent in English. You just need a computer and a strong wifi signal to support daily video chats with the Tribe.
This is an hourly gig and we are looking for 2 consultants, project load will vary,
but we anticipate approximately 15-20 hours per week of work. Compensation depends on experience. Keep in mind that Modern Tribe’s sales team does NOT offer commissions at this time.
We believe that distributed working is a way of life. We understand what it means to work remotely. We offer consistency in expectations, payment, and support. We believe in learning from each other and fostering personal growth. You can expect to learn a lot while working with us.
(Also, if you work enough with us, we’ll bring you on the team trips
Who We Are
Modern Tribe, Inc. is a rapidly growing software & design company. We develop custom solutions for some of the world’s largest companies, government institutions and smaller growing organizations. We pride ourselves on our ability to bridge people and technology and to bring the passion and dedication of an entrepreneur to every project. Our team is composed of talented employees and freelancers around North & South America (and a smattering across the globe).
Who You Are
We love working with each other because we have built a culture that suits us well. We work primarily with freelancers and coordinate their talents for large projects. To be on our team, you must be:
HAPPY: Where there is a will, there is a way. Having a positive disposition allows us to achieve great things and to support each other.
HELPFUL: Always looking for ways that you can help others.
CURIOUS: It is essential that you have a passion for learning. Technology changes daily, and life has a way of constantly raising the bar.
ACCOUNTABLE: Our clients expect us to get the right thing done on budget and on time. Communicating expectations and meeting them is the cornerstone of success.