Hi, thanks for reading about our Front-end Engineer opportunity! We're Knack, a code-free platform used by thousands of customers — from non-profits to the world’s biggest companies — to easily build custom apps, workflows, and databases.
Knack is a 100% remote company, with a flat, consensus-driven culture. That means a huge amount of autonomy and ownership to define your work and impact, and the opportunity to have a major impact here is a huge one.
Role & Responsibilities
As Knack's lead front-end engineer, you’ll help build a product that makes it easy to do hard things with data.
- You’ll lead the architecture and coding of our product’s front-end interface and user experience.
- You'll work with Vue, ES6, and HTML/CSS to build and maintain new Knack features.
- You’ll help develop and maintain a component library of design patterns and style guides in collaboration with design and product teams.
- You’ll code every day. Although we expect technical and product leadership, everyone at Knack is deeply invested in their craft and enjoys executing on a daily basis.
- You’ll be a resource and mentor for the engineering team to level-up on front-end practices to ensure the entire team can be productive developing product features.
- You'll play a key role in developing feature specs by bridging intent and execution. You'll collaborate with product and design teams, and you’re comfortable sharing feedback and explaining executional tradeoffs.
Here are some of the "must haves" to be successful in this role:
- You love turning complex business requirements into working software that delights users. Nothing excites you more than seeing the real impact your work makes in the lives of thousands of customers.
- You have min 3+ yrs of experience doing front-end development for a software product at scale
- You have direct experience with modern reactive frameworks: preferably Vue, or a desire to leverage React experience to master Vue.
- You take software engineering practices seriously. You write meaningful tests and understand the value of great logging, proper monitoring, and error tracking.
- You are comfortable explaining decisions, defending your logic, and providing feedback to others in the service of making our team and product better.
Here are a few other hints that you might be the person we’re looking for (you match up with a number of these):
- You have a sense of humor, a sense of humility, and take your work much more seriously than you take yourself.
- You're proud of the code you write, but you're also pragmatic: you know when it is time to refactor, and when it's time to ship. You know that the ultimate arbiter of your code is a delighted customer.
- You have the drive and focus to get challenging projects over the finish line, and you are comfortable advocating for what you need to do your best work.
- You have experience and thrive in a flat, consensus-driven work environment that emphasizes both autonomy and accountability.
- You know when to do something yourself and when to ask for help. You understand the importance of ruthless prioritization.
- You are totally okay with big swings, wild experiments, and learning through failure.
- Front-end: ES6, Vue, Vuex, Vue Router, Webpack
- Components & Design: Storybook, Atomic design, Saas, Post CSS, CSS Modules
- Testing: Mocha Unit Tests, Cypress.js, Ghost Inspector
- Back-end: Node.js, Mongo, SQL, Redis, AWS
About this job: https://knack.com/careers/frontend-engineer
About working at Knack: https://knack.com/work-at-knack